Friday, September 1, 2017

piglet's lament

1 oz Berkshire Mountain's Greylock Gin
1/2 oz Campari
1/4 oz Cynar
1/4 oz St. Elder Elderflower Liqueur
1 oz Cinzano Sweet Vermouth

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with a grapefruit twist.
Two Fridays ago, I was tinkering around with Negroni variations for a request from an upcoming wedding. I was inspired by Eeyore's Requiem to include other liqueurs in the mix, but I did not want it to be as extreme as Toby Maloney's neo-classic with Campari being the largest component. Therefore, I stuck with the equal parts gin, liqueur, and vermouth ratio. Since Campari and elderflower work so well together in the Cell #34 and Sweet Valley High, I selected St. Elder as one of the parts. Also, elderflower and Cynar work rather well in the Alto Cucina and other drinks, I took that direction as well especially since Cynar also appears in Eeyore's Requiem. For a name, I kept the Winnie the Pooh theme and decided on Piglet's Lament; one of Piglet's laments in Winnie the Pooh is "It is hard to be brave when you're only a Very Small Animal."

5 comments:

James H. said...

This was excellent. Thank you for sharing.

frederic said...

Cheers! Glad you enjoyed!

Unknown said...

I'll have to give this a go tomorrow, Eeyore's Requiem is a favorite and I love the idea behind this.

frederic said...

In the concept of Eeyore's Requiem (but a lot more gentle and closer to a Negroni proper instead of weird magic that works) though.

Plotinus said...

This cocktail is fabulous and one of my favorites. Amazing how the grapefruit works with the drink.