Tuesday, May 23, 2017

fagatogo

2 oz Plantation Original Dark Rum
1 1/4 oz Pineapple Juice
3/4 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
1/2 oz Torani (or Amer) Picon

Shake with ice, strain into a Tiki mug, fill with crushed ice, garnish with mint, and add a straw.

Recently, I was asked about how to create Tiki drinks, and I replied that one of the easiest ways to create a novel drink is by changing two elements in a classic with a well-defined structure. This is how I crafted the Final Countdown from the Jet Pilot and the Mytoi Gardens from the Pago Pago. In another thought train while writing up the Oriente, I was reminded how Trader Vic enjoyed mixing with Amer Picon (often when paired with grenadine -- a pairing that dates back to the Picon Punch) such as in the Philippine Punch and Kahala Cooler. Putting the two concepts together, I wondered how the Pago Pago would work with Amer Picon especially since Picon and pineapple juice are a natural match; for a second liqueur, I went with Maraschino in thinking about one of my favorite Manhattan variations, the Brooklyn.
In keeping with how the Pago Pago is named after a the capital of American Samoa, I opted for the Fagatogo which is a village on the islands. Once prepared, the Fagatogo proffered a minty aroma that led into caramel from the rum and Picon that complemented the pineapple and lime notes on the sip. Next, the swallow offered the medley of rum, dark orange, and nutty cherry.

No comments: