Tuesday, April 18, 2017

holy mountain

1/2 oz Palo Viejo White Rum (*)
3/4 oz Lustau Amontillado Sherry
3/4 oz Pineapple Juice
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Burnt Cinnamon Syrup

Shake with ice, pour into a snifter glass, garnish with 2 dash Angostura Bitters, and add straws.
(*) Although I questioned the bartender about this amount in his written recipe, the drink might make more sense with 1 1/2 oz rum.
Two Tuesdays ago, I ventured down to Saloon where Pete Polselli was bartending. For a first drink, I requested the Holy Mountain that I learned was the creation of Luke Graham. Once in the glass, the Holy Mountain greeted the nose with clove and allspice aromas from the bitters garnish. Next, lime and the sherry's grape mingled on the sip, and the swallow offered rum, pineapple, nutty sherry, and cinnamon spice flavors.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this drink and have been wanting to recreate it. Thank you for the info!

Max Bulger said...

hey Fred, does this drink really only have 1/2oz white rum? Even with the Amontillado, it ends up at least than 1.5oz of base, just making sure before I go recreating it!

Thanks,
Max

frederic said...

I questioned it when I was told by the bartender. He double checked the recipe from the sheets. It ought to be 1.5 oz in my mind. Feel free to use that volume.

frederic said...

If there is ever a 3rd book, my compendium of drink recipes has it as such:

Holy Mountain
1 1/2 oz Palo Viejo White Rum
3/4 oz Lustau Amontillado Sherry
3/4 oz Pineapple Juice
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Cinnamon Syrup
Shake with ice, strain into a snifter glass, fill with ice, garnish with 2 dash Angostura Bitters, and add straws.
An adaptation of Luke Graham’s tropical libation created at Saloon circa 2017.