Monday, June 6, 2016

surfer on acid

1 1/2 oz Appleton Signature Rum
1 oz Pineapple Juice
3/4 oz Punt e Mes
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/4 oz Simple Syrup
1/4 oz Clement Mahinia Coco
1/8 oz Peychaud's Bitters
1 pinch Kosher Salt

Blend with ice and pour into a Hurricane glass. Top with crushed ice and garnish with a pineapple leaf and a paper umbrella (omit).

Two Mondays ago, in the midst of the final night of Boston Thirst events, I found myself with a group at Hojoko. For a drink, I requested the bar's take on the Surfer on Acid. I was curious for I had tinkered with remaking the neo-classic with my Bartender on Acid and I had seen the drink during a photo shoot for The Improper Bostonian as Hojoko's Joe Camarata was setting up his drink while my take on The Blood of the Kapu Tiki was being photographed. The recipe for this drink was sourced from that article.
This Surfer on Acid offered a dark herbal bouquet. Next, a creamy sip shared pineapple and other tropical fruit notes, and the swallow divvied up rum, pineapple, and coconut flavors with a bitter and spiced finish.

No comments: