Tuesday, January 19, 2016

hollywood

2/3 jigger Bacardi (1 1/2 oz Caliche Rum, 1/2 oz Seleta Gold Cachaça)
1 spoon Grapefruit (3/4 oz Juice)
1 spoon Grenadine (1/2 oz)
1/2 Egg White (1 whole Egg White)
(I added a piece of grapefruit peel)

Shake once without ice and once with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and grate nutmeg over the top.

Two Thursday ago after my shift, I began to thumb through Boothby's 1934 World Drinks & How to Mix Them and came across a drink, the Hollywood, that reminded me of the egg white-laden Pantomime from the same book. To add a bit more complexity to the recipe, I included a 2 square inch or so of grapefruit peel to donate its bitter and aromatic oils to the mix and split the rum with some funky cachaça.
The nutmeg garnish joined the grapefruit aroma on the nose. On the palate, a creamy grapefruit and pomegranate sip transitioned pleasantly into grassy rum and grapefruit peel on the swallow.

No comments: