Saturday, January 4, 2014

dwarf leopard

2 oz Ron Abuela Rum
1 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Velvet Falernum
1/2 oz Green Chartreuse
1 dash Allspice Dram
1 Egg White

Shake once without and once with ice. Strain into a rocks glass.

Before the year end wrap-ups, I was describing the Emperor's New Clothes that I had at Estragon. That night, one of the guests a few seats down the bar was John Drew of Blue Dragon, and he and I began discussing the White Witch from Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide. Since that got me in a Tiki frame of mind, I asked bartender Sahil Mehta for the Dwarf Leopard that I had spotted earlier in his recipe notebook. I was a little confused by the name until I figured out that the rum he used was Panamanian, and the Dwarf Leopard is another name for the ocelot relative that lives there.
The Dwarf Leopard offered a minty, herbal, and spiced aroma that led into a creamy and crisp lime sip. The rich aged rum began the swallow that contained herbal, lime, clove, and allspice notes. Just as I figured, with the collection of ingredients such as this, it could do no wrong.

No comments: