Monday, December 9, 2013

smuggler

2 oz Zaya 12 Year Rum
3/4 oz Contrabandista Amontillado Sherry
1/2 oz Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao
4 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a coupe glass.

A few Wednesdays ago, Andrea and I ventured over to Trina's Starlite Lounge for post-dinner dessert and drinks. For a first cocktail, I asked bartender Beau Sturm for the night's super-secret drink, the Smuggler, that they had tweeted about earlier in the day. Beau explained that Trina's-alum Dan Beretsky had thought of the idea, but it was Beau who eventually put proportions to the ingredients.
The Smuggler presented a dark rum nose with hints of orange peel and grape. A caramel sip with grape notes gave way to the rich dark rum swallow. The rum then blended into the Curaçao's orange peel and sherry's nutty flavors and finished with Angostura's spice.

2 comments:

TinierTim said...

I love your entries. Have you ever considered adding a rating to the cocktails? I always find myself wondering if you liked/loved/hated them!

frederic said...

I never post anything that I hated. Even if I posted a bad review, people would still make it and complain (for they never read the blah, blah, blah part). There are many recipes that get scrapped and never make it up here.

Plus, my 5 star review of something really complex might be something you hated, and something simple but solid that got a 3 star review might be the perfect drink. Or what was a cutting edged drink in 1890 might seem pretty lame or odd if it were created this year.

I do discuss what I liked about the cocktail and sometimes I just list tasting notes.

Hopefully, some aspect of the ingredients list, where it was made, etc. will grab you enough to give it a go. If you're making it at home, you aren't shelling out $10-13 on it at least.