Monday, June 3, 2013

the sun also rises

2 oz Fino Sherry
1 oz Avèze Gentian Liqueur
1 oz Cocchi Americano
2 dash Orange Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a rocks glass filled with ice. Garnish with an orange twist and add a straw.

Two Mondays ago, I judged my first cocktail competition, one for Licor 43. Through the years, I have been a competitor before, but it was my first time on this side of the equation. After tasting 7 contestants drinks and then trying the top 3 again, I had both a lot of sugar and booze flowing through my veins. Once the event was over, Andrea picked me up and we went off to Estragon for dinner. For a drink, I described my night to bartender Sahil Mehta and requested something rather dry and low in alcohol. Sahil smiled as he had just the perfect drink for me -- one he had just crafted for the Avèze competition called The Sun Also Rises.
aveze gentian liqueur cocktail
The Sun Also Rises greeted me with orange oils brightening the herbal aroma and with a sunrise-like yellow and orange appearance. A citrus wine sip led into the fino and gentian root flavors on the swallow with lingering bitter and savory notes.

2 comments:

Paul said...

Tried this and I must say it came across as a very light but good cocktail. Not very sweet, bitter and interesting. I used Suze.

Alex said...

Drinking this right now and loving it. This is a perfect, low-alcohol aperitif to sip on while making dinner :)