Wednesday, June 19, 2013

drink one up

1 1/2 oz Reposado Tequila
1 oz Drambuie
3/4 oz Punt e Mes
1/2 oz Grapefruit Juice
1/4 oz Lime Juice

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

Two Thursdays ago, I attended the DrinkOne charity event at the Sinclair to benefit the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing. For a first drink, I selected the Drink One Up which was the Sinclair's regular menu to raise money for the past month or so. Bartender Bryn Tattan mentioned that bar manager Dave Werthman crafted the recipe and she suggested that I contact him after the event. Via email, Dave described how he picked which event sponsors and ingredients to use, "I am a big fan of all the Fratelli Branca products... [and] Drambuie has been doing great things throughout the city for a while now. Honestly, I am friends with the reps from both companies, and know how well each product mixes with Tequila Reposado. Grapefruit is my go to citrus and all the flavors play off each other perfectly, without masking any of their individual characteristics."
The Drink One Up greeted the nose with a honey and agave aroma. A citrus, honey, and malt sip led into a swallow that began with tequila followed by Punt e Mes' bitter flavors and ended with a honey finish. Overall, the Drink One Up had a elegance to its balance that had me returning for a second taste later in the evening.

No comments: