Tuesday, March 12, 2013

palmer

2/3 Rye Whiskey (1 1/2 oz Old Overholt)
1/4 Grapefruit Juice (3/4 oz)
1/4 Dry Vermouth (1/2 oz Noilly Prat)
2 dash Grenadine (1/2 oz)
2 dash Angostura Bitters

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. I added a grapefruit twist.
After the Kal Katz, I decided to stick with the same era and search through Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933. When I spotted the Palmer in the whiskey section, it reminded me of the Standish Arms which also appears in that book. Upon shaking the drink and straw tasting it, I needed to up my first interpretation of 2 dashes of grenadine from 1/4 to 1/2 oz for balance. I also added a grapefruit twist to the recipe which added some bright aromas that led into the grapefruit and pomegranate sip quite well. Next, the swallow was all about the rye with herbal and spice notes from the dry vermouth and bitters. Perhaps I enjoyed the Standish Arms more, but the Palmer was definite worth a try.

No comments: