Thursday, February 28, 2013

lani kai sling

1 oz White Rhum Agricole (Vale d' Paul Aguardente Nova de Santo Antão)
1 oz El Dorado 3 Year White Rum
1/4 oz Cherry Heering
1/4 oz Benedictine
1/4 oz Grenadine
1/4 oz Cointreau
1 1/2 oz Pineapple Juice
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Shake with ice and strain into a Collins glass filled with ice. Garnish with an umbrella, cherry, and pineapple wedge (omitted) and add a straw.

Two Fridays ago, we began the evening with the a drink from Food & Wine: Cocktails 2012. It was the Lani Kai Sling from Julie Reiner's variations of the Singapore Sling. Since I enjoyed the drinks I had at Lani Kai before it closed, including the Pacific Swizzle and La Rosa, I was game to give this one a try. I lamented that my garnish game would not be anywhere as good as if I had ordered this Sling at Lani Kai, and I left this one unadorned in defeat.
lanikai sling
The Sling began with a pineapple aroma that shared a vague cherry-fruitiness. A lime, pineapple, and cherry sip led into a swallow offering the complex funky rums, light herbal spice notes, and a lingering pineapple finish. Instead of a rhum agricole, I opted for a Cape Verdean sugar cane rum that is produced in a similar way, and I found that it paired exceptionally well with the pineapple in the drink.

No comments: