Friday, August 10, 2012

marshall island swizzle

2 oz Plantation Barbados Rum
1/2 oz Ginger Syrup
1/2 oz Honey Syrup
1 oz Lime Juice

Build in a Collins glass and fill with crushed ice. Swizzle to mix and chill, and garnish with several dashes of Angostura Bitters. Add a straw.

Taking a momentary diversion from my birthday bar crawl tales for I realized that I forgot to write about a drink I had two nights before at the Hawthorne. Since it was Swizzle Sunday there, I decided to look through the list of theme drinks and spotted the Marshall Island Swizzle. Bartender Ryan Lotz confirmed my suspicion that the drink was indeed created by Scott Marshall using his namesake islands in the Pacific. Overall, it seemed like a much less challenging but just as delicious sounding Swizzle as the last of Scott's that I had, namely the St. Bruno Swizzle.
The Marshall Island Swizzle's Angostura Bitters garnish greeted my nose with gentian, allspice, and clove aromas. The lime and honey sip was not overly sweet. And the rum and ginger swallow was quite delighful; as the floated bitters began to integrate into the flavor profile in the end, the swallow got even further spiced and rather dry.

No comments: