Wednesday, November 10, 2010

hayride

1 1/2 oz Whiskey (Old Overholt Rye)
1 oz Apple Cider (nonfermented)
1/2 oz Benedictine
1 dash Angostura
1 Egg

Shake once without ice and once with, and strain into a rocks glass. Garnish with 7 drops of Allspice Dram on the egg foam and an apple wedge.

For Mixoloseum's Thursday Drink Night, the theme was apple cider, and I decided to go the flip route using some nonfermented apple cider (hard cider was another possible interpretation of the theme). As a starting point, I chose the Jerry Thomas classic, the Stone Fence. To spice things up, I added Benedictine which has complemented apple flavors before in drinks such as the Honeymoon Cocktail, Full House #2, and the Essence of Winter Sleep. Moreover, I added the floated garnish of Allspice Dram which worked rather well in the Judgment Day. For a name, I stuck with the autumnal theme and dubbed it the Hayride.
The Hayride started with an apple and allspice aroma from the garnishes. The Benedictine spice and rye whiskey complemented the apple notes as hoped for, and the egg donated a luxurious smoothness to the drink. When I was planning the drink on my drive home from work that day, my whiskey concept was actually a blended Scotch. When it came time to mix the drink, I forgot this part of the brainstorming session and grabbed the rye. I think a light or medium smoky Scotch might work rather well with the other flavors, although I was definitely not disappointed by how rye worked in this flip.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks really tasty. I missed it somehow on the TDN Twitter feed. So, did it win you a swizzle stick?

Ironically I went to the hooch shop after work today specifically to pick up Benedictine to make a Vieux Carré, but they were out! Grrr. . .

frederic said...

It was the first drink of the night so it could've been easily missed.

Benedictine is definitely a good thing to have at the bar especially during the fall and winter months. Although Vieux Carres are perfect all year round!