Monday, November 16, 2009

taxco

1 1/2 oz Lunazul Blanco Tequila
3/4 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Agave Nectar
2 dash Fee Brothers' Orange Bitters
1 Egg White
top Soda Water

Shake (all but soda water) one round without ice and one with. Strain into a highball or water glass, and top with soda water. Add straw. The recipe was from the Green Street cocktail recipe notebook, and while watching the drink being made, the drink appeared to have been adjusted to 2:1/2:1/2 at the bartender's discretion.

Last night, Andrea and I made our way to Green Street for some cocktails and dessert. For my first drink, I picked something new to me off of their 6 page cocktail menu and asked bartender Derric Crothers to make me the Taxco. The Taxco is basically a tequila silver fizz -- a tall drink made with spirit, citrus, sweetener, and egg white and topped with soda water. The silver means that it uses the egg white only as opposed to the royal (whole egg) or golden (yolk only); my next drink was a golden albeit not a fizz and I wished I had realized that in advance and asked Derric to save the yolk instead of discarding it.
The Taxco had a robust tequila and lime nose to it. Taste-wise, the drink had a sweet citrus flavor with light tequila notes on the swallow. Unlike many tequila drinks, the tequila was rather muted due to the egg whites functioning to smooth out the drink. Indeed, the Taxco was very light due to the egg white's effect and the soda water, and overall it was pretty refreshing.

No comments: