Tuesday, July 14, 2009

monteleone cocktail

2 oz Rye Whiskey
1 1/2 oz St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur
1/2 oz Domaine De Canton Ginger Liqueur
2 dash Fee Brothers Orange Bitters
Splash Ginger Ale

Shake ingredients and strain into a julep cup or cocktail glass filled with crushed ice. Garnish with orange slice.

Shortly after landing on Tuesday, we headed out to the Monteleone Hotel and stopped into the Carousel Bar where we spotted our friend Jonathan Forester. When bartender Marvin Allen took my drink order, I originally asked for a Vieux Carre which had been invented at the Hotel Monteleone's bar back in 1938. Jonathan reminded me that the bar also had the Monteleone Cocktail which won their recent contest for the bar's signature cocktail. Wanting to try something new, I caught Marvin before he had started on my drink and changed my request (luckily, the Ramos Gin Fizzes Andrea and Jonathan ordered provided me this opportunity).


The drink was rather St. Germain tasting on the forefront and a relatively more subtle ginger on the swallow. My enjoyment of this cocktail increased once the ice melted and the sugar content was diluted. I then was glad that the drink was served on the rocks instead of up. Andrea thought that this recipe would have rather widespread appeal due to its sweetness and could introduce and excite people to both St. Germain and Domaine de Canton. I enjoyed the drink as we slowly rotated around the Carousel Bar; however, after a few rotations, I was more tempted to get off my amusement park ride than have another drink. Alas, we bid our adieus to Jonathan, although only for a few hours, and headed off to Bennachins down Royal street for some tasty West African food. At some point, I hopefully will write up Bennachins and the other veggie/vegan-friendly restaurants we ate at during the week.

1 comment:

Oliver Steffens said...

Really delicious recipe ! Remind me on the Padovani but i like it.
Thank you for sharing..