Wednesday, June 18, 2008

[a facinating too-tasty flip]

long pepper-infused gin
averna
honey
egg

Shake the hell out of it, garnish with a tiny bit of ground nutmeg. A John Gertsen original.

F&A brought me out to no9 Park -- finally, we made this happen! -- for my birthday last night, and what a lovely night it was. For my second drink A suggested to John that he make me a flip of some kind. He brought out this amazing house infusion of gin and Indonesian long peppers (which of course I had to try straight. Just a tiny sip! Potent stuff, my lips were wonderfully pepper-burned for a few minutes), and tempered it with honey. The result? Wonderfully creamy concoction, with a pepper tingle that was neutered of its pain by the sweet sticky honey. The color was a rich coffee brown, suggesting that this drink's name should have something to do with coffee despite its absence: all the better to confuse people!

No comments: